Friday, November 12, 2010

A Poem: Bittersweet High/Back, Ye Demon

All right folks. So I haven't posted in a while - sorry about that. I wanted sometime to just fix up the next part of True Tales before its posted, but it is coming soon. In the meantime, here is a poem I wrote last night. See if you can guess what it is about. Hope you enjoy it.

BITTERSWEET HIGH

BACK, YE DEMON
 into the hell you came from
  where you were so happy,
    really - why did you ever leave?

You are to go back.
 'Yes, I am going back,
   back to the hell where I was so happy,
The melting pot of hormones -
 It's only when you're stewing
  you're tender
   and you can feel every kiss
    every caress
As an individual and unique thing.'

But outside they feel like sand
  falling through my fingers.
It is the face in the mirror that shifts,
  and the world that stays the same.
It is YOU who changed,
  and no one else. 

I will go back, saith the Demon,
  back to the hell where I was so happy,
where the heat is a constant
  and the ticking of clocks
    denotes increase -

Not here, where decrease is the natural
  order, and cold is the only guarantee.

In Hell,
 everything is soap operas,
  everything is try-it-now-before-it-is-legal,
   tire of it before you are permitted.

In Hell,
 everything is a mad rush
  and everything has a false sense of purpose,
   a false sense of
                                   upwards
                  movement
    constant
  misleading even the brightest,
   ESPECIALLY the brightest,
    the little Lucifers, always returning.

In HEAVEN
 there is stark certainty
  that nothing is certain
And now that you are here
 you will want to go back

And there is only one way back.

GO BACK, YE DEMON,
  to the hell where you once belonged.

'I will go back,' say I,
  'back to the hell where I was so happy.'

No comments:

Post a Comment